Cheerleading is a sport, that requires great physical strength and dexterity. Cheerleaders not only cheer for their team, but also perform jumps, stunts (lifts), and tumbling (gymnastics).
There are three types of cheerleading:
School Cheerleading/ College Cheerleading- Athletes must try out for the squad. If they make it their main focus is to support their school's team, and promote school spirit.
Rec. League/ Association- These athletes do not try out for the squad, the sign up at a local recreational association, such as the YMCA. They cheer for other sports teams in their association They sometimes compete.
Star cheerleaders- These are athlete that cheer at cheerleading gyms. They do not have to try out to make the squad. These athlete do not cheer for a sports team, but instead, their sole focus is to compete at competitios, and build skill.
Both girls and boys are cheerleaders, and gender makes no difference. Some of the best cheerleaders out there are male. Cheerleading is a sport, and the things they do are just as hard as any other sport.
1. Voice – Clear, natural and easy to understand.
2. Motions – Sharp, synchronize with other.
3. Dance – Cheerleaders should be able to perform difficult dance with formations and synchronization
4. Tumbling – Cheerleaders should be able to tumble as a group with good synchronization
5. Pyramid/Stunts – Bases and Flyer should stay tight all the time.
6. Minimize the bobble or moving. Always Smile. Learn good technique in loading/lifting, smooth transitioning, and dismounting.
7. Formation/Spacing – good spacing/positioning is very important in the entire routine.
8. Jumps – Cheerleaders should be able to do a Group Jump with clean and tight with clean and tight execution. 1 double toe- touches and combination of herkie jump + pike.
9. Difficulty – Cheerleaders should be able to perform difficult stunts and pyramid. To do so, train weight lifting or strength training at home and during training.
10. Crowd Appeal – Cheerleaders should be able to lead the crowd and let the crowd know that we are supporting Rising Star of Super Crew Lakers.
11. Sportsmanship – Cheerleaders must possess sportsmanship throughout the competition.
Example of good Form!
Non-Flipping Positions 1. Basket
2. Straight Ride
3. Toe Touch
5. Kick with Twist
Group/Team tumbling is recommended.
1. Back handspring
3. Layout – layout with twisting and layout step-out.
Thank you for reading this booklet. We hope you learn much information. Please remember all the important terms/names, as it will be useful in our training.
Emilie and Mark Anthony
Extension / Elevator
Bow and Arrow
1 Main Base
1 Side Base
1 Back Spot
1 Front Spot